Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, holidays, special events, picnics and celebrations have changed dramatically. For many people, this is the first time they have been confronted with empty chairs at the table, because loved ones cannot, or are unwilling to, attend family gatherings. Cherished traditions and religious events may have been canceled due to the virus, with no clear end in sight to social distancing restrictions. People who live alone or far from family, or who have lost loved ones, may find holidays especially difficult.
These changes can trigger a variety of emotions, from grief to guilt or anger. Holidays may not be the same; however, there are various ways to find peace and moments of joy. Magellan Healthcare has prepared resources to help.
Magellan in the News
Stay up to date on news covering how Magellan Healthcare is providing free resources and expert advice to help individuals, families and communities through the holidays and COVID-19 pandemic.
- “Magellan Healthcare Offers Mental Health Resources to Provide Support During the Holiday Season,” Business Wire
Magellan Resources and Tips
Use these Magellan materials to learn more and share information on coping with the holidays during a global pandemic with family, friends and colleagues.
- Holiday planning during COVID-19 tip sheet
- Holiday emotional health and wellness tip sheet
- Emotional wellness during the holidays with COVID-19 poster (11 x 17), flyer (8.5 x 11) and digital sign
- Managing financial stress during the holidays with COVID-19 poster (11 x 17), flyer (8.5 x 11) and digital sign
- December National Stress-Free Family Holidays Month poster (11 x 17), flyer (8.5 x 11) and digital sign
- Holidays and COVID-19 digital signs:
- Holiday tips digital signs:
Magellan Healthcare has created a number of websites with helpful information about emotional and physical health:
- Mind your Mental Health website for resources addressing holiday depression and stress
- COVID-19 website including:
- Suicide prevention resources for information and materials about the warning signs and skills needed to save a life
- Depression and mental health screening resources for information and materials about depression and other mental health conditions, mental health self-screening tools for individuals, and help for providers
- Health and Wellness Library for comprehensive health and wellness information, including on the holidays and COVID-19 (search for “COVID-19” and “holidays”)
- “‘Home for the Holidays’ rings differently this year” article with resources for providers and their clients to plan for emotional wellness during the pandemic
Join us for informative and engaging, free virtual events to help cope with the holidays in November and December and ongoing pandemic.
December 10, 2020, 3:00 – 3:30 p.m. Eastern, #bhXPERT Twitter chat, Coping with the holidays during COVID-19
The Magellan Healthcare #bhXPERT Twitter chat series provides a forum for industry thought leaders and anyone interested in behavioral health to discuss current topics and share knowledge to raise awareness, advance progress and reduce stigma. It takes place on the second Thursday of each month at 3:00 p.m. Eastern and lasts half an hour.
For our December event, Dr. Shareh Ghani, Magellan Healthcare medical director, will be joining as our special guest. Additional details, including the discussion questions and how to participate, are available here.
Thursday, December 10, 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. ET
Stay Home for MY LIFE virtual youth fest
It’s time to celebrate all the challenges we have overcome in 2020, and prepare for an amazing 2021! Join us for a fun and festive Stay Home for MY LIFE virtual youth festival with inspirational speakers, uplifting entertainment, engaging activities and giveaways. Stay Home for MY LIFE is for young people who have experience with mental health, substance use, juvenile justice and foster-care-related issues. Learn more about MY LIFE, Stay Home for MY LIFE and the Dec. 10 event.
December 3, 2020, 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. Eastern, webinar, Emotional wellness during COVID-19 and the holidays
If you missed the live event, check out the recording with Dr. Caroline Carney, MD, MSc, FAPM, CPHQ, Magellan Health chief medical officer, Dr. Candice Tate, MD, MBA, Magellan Healthcare medical director, and Barb Corn, RN, MA, CPHQ, Magellan Rx vice president, physician and clinical operations, as they discuss ways to find peace and moments of joy during the holidays.
Wednesday, December 2, 2:00 – 3:30 p.m. ET
eMpowered for Learning webinar, Engaging families as partners, Part 2
“Engaging families as partners” is a two-part series providing a framework for creating effective partnerships with families of children and youth. Engagement is often used synonymously with involvement, but real engagement goes beyond that. Engagement is reflected in the partnership between the system, providers and families. Partnership does not mean that parents and professionals assume each other’s roles, but rather that they respect and value each other’s roles and contributions. This series is presented by the Family Run Executive Director Leadership Association (FREDLA), which serves as the national representative and advocate for family-run organizations and their executive directors, and supports effective stewardship of family-run organizations.
November 18, 2020, 2:00 – 3:30 p.m. Eastern, eMpowered for Learning webinar, Engaging families as partners, Part 1
Find information above in the description for Part 2.