Help for Primary Care Providers
Mental illness is growing into a bigger crisis as we continue to live in the time of COVID-19. In late June 2020, one in four young adults and nearly 11% of adults reported contemplating suicide over the last month.1 The best way to find these individuals is through their primary care physician (PCP).
Magellan has created a website that provides behavioral health information for PCPs to use to evaluate, treat and refer patients to help them get the care they need. MagellanPCPtoolkit.com offers:
- Diagnostic screening tools to help providers quickly and easily identify patients’ behavioral health risks for anxiety, bipolar disorder, depression, drug and alcohol abuse, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Clinical practice guidelines from Magellan and the American Psychiatric Association that promote evidence-based practices and positive outcomes.
- Patient handouts on a variety of topics that providers can share to educate patients and help them make informed health decisions.
- Community Resourcefinder to assist providers in recommending local services that can support their patients through life stages, including housing, adoption, infant and childcare, education, senior care, home care and special needs.
- Magellan webinars to help providers learn more about HEDIS quality measures for mental health and substance use disorder screening and treatment, and what the measures mean for their practices.
MagellanPCPtoolkit.com helps providers to efficiently address behavioral health conditions and provide whole-person care for their patients.
Magellan’s Virtual Care Solution
Magellan’s Virtual Care Solution is a suite of digital tools and resources addressing the most prevalent behavioral health conditions—insomnia, depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, anxiety and substance use—as well as physical problems such as chronic pain. Our individualized programs help identify these conditions, direct access to appropriate
interventions, and reduce escalation using proven, proprietary methods.
Screen and Engage
Screen and Engage, part of Magellan’s Virtual Care Solution, promotes early diagnosis and treatment of the most common behavioral health conditions before they result in an ED visit or admission. It gives primary care providers a quick, easy way to screen patients for potential behavioral health issues and engage them in medication-free, evidence-based behavioral healthcare at the appropriate level, ranging from member education to digital cognitive behavioral therapy (DCBT) and care management.
The SmartScreener digital application, part of Screen and Engage, assesses for the following most common behavioral health conditions by employing standard screening tools widely used by behavioral health professionals:
- Anxiety—General Anxiety Disorder (GAD-7)
- Depression—Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-8/9)
- Insomnia—Insomnia Severity Index (ISI-7)
- Pain—Pain, Enjoyment, General Activity (PEG-3)
- Alcohol use—Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT-10)
- Drug use—Drug Abuse Screening Test (DAST-10)
52% of primary care patients screened with Magellan’s SmartScreener screened positive for a condition and were successfully guided to appropriate levels of care.2
1 Czeisler MÉ , Lane RI, Petrosky E, et al. Mental Health, Substance Use, and Suicidal Ideation During the COVID-19 Pandemic — United States, June 24–30, 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2020;69:1049–1057. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6932a1.
2 Magellan internal data, August 2017 – June 2018