Help for Primary Care Providers
The prevalence of depression among children has increased by 89% from 2004 to 2020, while the rate of treatment has only nominally increased.1 Certain demographic groups have been disproportionately affected, including girls, of which the prevalence of depression has increased from 13.1% in 2004 (5% among boys) to 25.2% in 2020 (9.2% among boys).1
The prevalence of mental health conditions among adults has increased by 19% from 2008 to 2020.1 In 2021, more than 21 million adults experienced depression.2 Rates of depression are higher among certain groups like younger adults, females and people who are multi-racial.2 Among those who experience a mental health condition, more than half do not receive treatment.3
Magellan has created a website that provides behavioral health information for PCPs to use to evaluate, treat and refer patients to help them get the care they need. MagellanPCPtoolkit.com offers:
- Diagnostic screening tools to help providers quickly and easily identify patients’ behavioral health risks for anxiety, bipolar disorder, depression, drug and alcohol abuse, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Clinical practice guidelines from Magellan and the American Psychiatric Association that promote evidence-based practices and positive outcomes.
- Patient handouts on a variety of topics that providers can share to educate patients and help them make informed health decisions.
- Community Resourcefinder to assist providers in recommending local services that can support their patients through life stages, including housing, adoption, infant and childcare, education, senior care, home care and special needs.
- Magellan webinars to help providers learn more about HEDIS quality measures for mental health and substance use disorder screening and treatment, and what the measures mean for their practices.
MagellanPCPtoolkit.com helps providers to efficiently address behavioral health conditions and provide whole-person care for their patients.
Magellan’s Collaborative Care Solution
Magellan Healthcare research has found that 60% of first-time behavioral health emergency room visits come from patients who saw their primary care physician within the previous six months yet had no behavioral health diagnosis. Magellan’s Collaborative Care product, powered by NeuroFlow, provides a seamless way for PCPs to screen for and treat behavioral health conditions before they become emergencies.
The importance of integrated physical and behavioral healthcare has increasingly become a focal point within the healthcare industry. Integrated care enables prevention and early identification of behavioral health issues, better medication management for comorbidities, and long-term monitoring. Facilitating whole-person care in this way increases behavioral health access and can reduce total cost of care through reductions in emergency department and inpatient care.
Magellan’s solution marries our clinical experts with NeuroFlow technology that seamlessly integrates with electronic health records and workflows, empowering PCPs with tools and support to identify and address low to moderate behavioral health conditions within the primary care setting before they escalate.